The Ergonomics in Design Laboratory operates in the field of Ergonomics applied to the assessment and design of spaces, products, services and equipment.
The scientific and operational aims of the Laboratory are the development and application of ergonomic assessment methodologies, both in the field of traditional ergonomics and in those of usability and Human-Centred Design.
The Laboratory operates in particular:
- In the development of research programmes on ergonomics issues, with a special focus on security and usability in spaces, products and equipment, at all stages of design process, from the first idea to development and production.
- In the development of advanced services for public and private research entities, public administrations and companies, in the field of the ergonomics assessment of industrial products, equipment and facilities.
- In activities in support of teaching at all three levels of university education, in all aspects regarding the application and experimentation of methods, assessment procedures and ergonomic design.
The Laboratory undertakes its activities in collaboration with the Sustainable Design Laboratory and the Design Modelling Laboratory of the Department of Architecture DIDA, together with the Occupational Medicine section of the Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, and the Department of Education and Psychology of the University of Florence.
The Laboratory works with:
UNI, Ente Italiano di Normazione
INAIL, Istituto Nazionale per l'Assicurazione contro gli infortuni sul lavoro, Toscana
GRC, Centro di Gestione del Rischio Clinico della Regione Toscana
SIE, Società Italiana di Ergonomia e Fattori umani
SIFO, Società Italiana dei Farmacisti ospedalieri
AIFOS, Associazione Italiana Formatori e operatori della Sicurezza sul Lavoro
The specific activities of the Ergonomics in Design Laboratory are:
- usability assessment through objective evaluation procedures (expert assessment, task analysis, physical-dimensional assessment);
- usability and safety in use assessments undertaken through involving users methods (user trials) both in the Laboratory and on field;
- conformity with the technical UNI/ISO regulations concerning ergonomics;
- comparative testing of products;
- development of design guidelines;
- definition of innovative design concepts;
- modelling and virtual simulation of the user-space-product interaction for the control of anthropometric and bio-mechanic parameters (in collaboration with the Occupational Medicine section of the Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine);
- assessment of the sensorial effects of materials and surfaces (in collaboration with Sustainable Design Laboratory);
- creation of prototypes for the development and verification of user trials (in collaboration with Design Modelling Laboratory).
Areas of intervention
- daily use products;
- systems and products;
- products, equipment and work stations;
- interface systems and control panels;
- home and work spaces;
- packaging systems;
- sport products, equipment and facilities, both professional and amateur;
- products, equipment and facilities for weak users (especially the elderly, handicapped and people with physical or sensory discomforts);
- products, equipment and facilities for health and care purposes.
By appointment only: email@example.com
Production and research
Brunello Cucinelli factory.
Ergonomics evaluation and
first design phase
Technologies for the reduction
of the environmental impact of
campers in the usage phase
New line of horizontal freezers
innovative in terms of environmental
sustainability, energy savings
and product design
for modern kitchen furniture
The Intermodal Bike
Multi-modal integration of
"Smart Running" Workshop
definition of scenarios and concepts
for products and systems related
to indoor and outdoor running
for the chest freezer sector
for the camper sector
Well Living in Kitchen
technological and usage innovation
for the kitchen
Theoretical and applied ergonomics
for the design of products
and product systems
Master Degree in Ergonomics
Product ergonomics for
equipment and services
Master Degree in Ergonomics
and organization ergonomics
cycle of conferences
aimed at the promotion of research
and the valorization of the link
between university and business
The Laboratory accepts a maximum of three active trainees at a time.
Candidates must submit their request by electronic post to the Scientific Director of the Laboratory, Professor Francesca Tosi, including their C.V. in European format.
Daniele Busciantella Ricci
via Sandro Pertini, 93
50041 - Calenzano (FI)
leaf through the online