IDEE Lab is an interdisciplinary laboratory aimed at research for innovation in services, product, product-service system and in manufacturing process, through design and creative use of manufacturing technologies, digital technologies and advanced ICT. The research team uses design methodologies and tools for innovation, such as design thinking, user-driven innovation, design-enabled innovation, technology driven innovation and experience driven innovation, applied to design issues related to industrial design, product design and product-service system design.
The laboratory operates in:
- development of research programmes, concerned with the relation between design and technological innovation (materials, manufacturing technologies, ICT, Industry 4.0, Internet of Things, Smart City), at all stages of the design process, from concept phase to development and to prototyping phases, with a special focus on feasibility evaluation and manufacturing;
- development of advanced services for public and private institutions, companies and start-ups, in the field of product and product-service systems development;
- supporting teaching activities at all the levels of university education, as regards the application and experimentation of methods and evaluation processes, and of advanced and parametric design.
IDEE Lab undertakes its activities in collaboration with other laboratories of the DIDALABS system, such as Sustainable Design Laboratory, Design Modelling Laboratory and Ergonomics in Design Laboratory. In addition, it cooperates with other laboratories of the University of Florence, which operate on complementary topics, such as, the Laboratory of Reverse Engineering and Virtual Prototyping (ReViP), of the Department of Industrial Engineering, and the Laboratory of Wood Technology of the Department DAGRI. At an international level, IDEE Lab has a cooperation agreement with the Human-Tech Institute, of the University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Western Switzerland and with Silpakorn University of Thailand.
The specific activities of Innovation in Design & Engineering Lab are:
- definition of innovative design concepts regarding products and processes;
- modelling and virtual simulation of human-product-network interaction;
- project development and feasibility assessment;
- development of mathematical parametric models and management of great assemblies;
- bill of materials;
- comparative assessments of manufacturing technologies and materials;
- mock-up and prototyping;
- material, finish and colour design;
- development of product-service systems (APP’s and digital interaction systems).
Areas of intervention
- Daily use products
- Urban Furniture
- Product-service Systems
- Interface Systems
- Internet of Things
- Smart manufacturing
- Topological Optimization
- Parametric Design
- Generative Design
- Other related sectors
The laboratory has the following opening hours to the public:
- Monday: 09:30-13:30, 14:30-18:30
- Thursday by appointment
The opening days and hours may be changed due to the specific needs of the Management Committee and researchers involved in the development of ongoing activities. All possible changes will be agreed with the Scientific Director and communicated to any students who attend the laboratory for internship or other activities.
A maximum of 2 trainees are admitted at the same time.
To submit the internship application at the Innovation in Design & Engineering laboratory, candidates must communicate with the Scientific Director of the laboratory, prof. Alessandra Rinaldi, by e-mail and attaching their curriculum vitae in European format.
via Sandro Pertini 93
50041 Calenzano - Florence - ITALY