Via della Mattonaia No. 8 – Tel. 055 2755410
This is the location of the Dean’s Office of the School of Architecture, the degree programmes in Architectural Sciences (L-17), the Master’s degree in Architecture (LM-4), the teaching services of the DIDA Department and the School of Architecture, the Architectural Models Laboratory (LMA), the CrossingLab (LCROSSING), the Installation and Self-Construction Laboratory (LAA), lecturers’ offices, lecture theatres and spaces dedicated to student study.
In 1992, the former prison complex at Santa Teresa proved well-suited to conversion into an educational centre, thanks to its existing spacious areas, which were capable of accommodating large numbers of people.
Traces of its historic function as a prison remain in the central block, where the prison cells have been preserved.
Its history dates back to 1620, when Maria Francesca Guardi donated plots of land – which were still largely undeveloped – within the 14th-century city walls in the Santa Croce district for the foundation of a monastery in honour of St Teresa: the church and convent were designed by the Florentine architect Giovanni Coccapani.
In 1808, the convent was closed down by the French government, but eight years later it was reopened and partly converted into a local school. In 1865, it was closed down for good and converted into a remand centre.
The complex subsequently underwent further alterations: between 1866 and 1897, three new wings were added to the convent’s garden, running parallel to Via della Mattonaia. The central building was used as cells for prisoners, whilst the side wings housed carpentry, shoemaking and mechanical workshops. This remained the case until 1984/85, when the prisoners were transferred to the new Sollicciano prison and the former prison was granted to the University of Florence by the City of Florence.
from “Architetture restituite” – Maurizio De Vita – Alinea Ed 2011
Last update
31.08.2026